Wednesday, April 03, 2024

TLC for MiniRose (Daniele Kordana?). 3 Apr 24.

Here's the last of the three miniroses, which I think is Daniele Kordana.  It's done with a nice, long run on blooming.

After cleaning up and repotting.


So far I think this project, bare-rooting and planting in good quality potting soil, is right on target.  There are beginning flower buds on three of the five Sunmaid Kordana plants now.   Growth is excellent and they don't dry out suddenly on an almost daily basis like the originals did.  It's more like keeping normal vegetable starts watered.

Before dividing - the original plants.


First I cut off the flowers.  I cut back to a nice looking bud, mostly those two or three nodes below the flower.  I like to cut back so there are some buds for good low branching, but if some buds have started nice growth I keep some of those in place. 



The roots look fine.  Not too crowded and not a lot of winding around the container.



Instead of splitting the roots apart, this time I decided to wash off the soil by swirling the root mass around  in a basin of water.  I think that was more gentle on the roots.  The soil washed off easily with multiple swirlings.



I think it was easier then to separate the plants with minimal root damage.



I chose the most healthy looking plant for the largest container.  I'd like to keep that one as a specimen plant.  I planted the others as I did the Sunmaid Kordana roses, as in the first image.

I also gave each a label.


No comments:

Post a Comment