Monday, April 15, 2024

Rehabbing / Restarting a Garlic Chive Colony. 15 Apr 24


 

Yesterday I mostly cleaned out a planter box where I had transferred a patio pot of garlic chives that was waning.  Unfortunately, the load of grass seed in soil was so high, the grass took over.  I was  never able to pick out all of the grass, which took over and killed off most of the chives.

So,I cleaned it out, dug out the top layer, which was all grass, except two bunches of garlic chive.  Then I mixed in a bucket of compost from the bin.  Then worked on cleaning up bunches of garlic chive, two from this planter and the rest from a large container I had in the back yard.

These were from the back yard container.




The bottom photo is what I saved from the planter.  I split the large bunch into two.  

 They might be too close together, but I think OK for a year or so,  After filling in the soil, I covered with about 1/2 inch of the too-fast-drying potting soil that I had already, for mulch.  Then leaves, as shown in the top image.  I gave some dilute low-nitrogen liquid fertilizer.  When they look settled and have some vigor, I can up the nitrogen.




No comments:

Post a Comment