Thursday, April 11, 2024

Pruning An Asian Pear Multigraft, In Bloom. 11 Apr 24.

 This Asian pear is pretty productive.  I forget the three or four varieties.  It grows too tall to manage the high growth - pruning, thinning, picking.  I cut back the top last year.  I waited until bloom so I can prune while preserving some of this year's crop.  It only needs to make a few bowls of fruit. maybe a batch to can.

I cut out the top again, shortening the trunk by about 18 more inches.  I shortened most of the branches back to stronger wood.  I don't want long, willowy branches with too much heavy fruit that break off.  I opened up the center some more, to bring more sunlight into the tree.


I think this size and density of blossoms will give us some nice fruit and enough of it. The branches are all within easy reach for thinning fruit, and picking.  It also sets up a better shape so that pruning next year will be simplified.

I have not pruned trees while in bloom, in the past.  It makes sense to me, but isn't what is usually recommended.  So we will see what happens.  Rainy season is about over, so this timing will give the cut ends a good chance to start sealing over, so maybe prevent disease from entering those wounds.  Vigorous growth is about to commence, which should be good timing.  I like being able to judge which branches to cut, based on the flowers now on those limbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment