Friday, April 12, 2024

Preparing / Rehabilitating Overwintered Mandevillas For Spring. 12 Apr 24.

 I've never grown Mandevillas before, so this is a learning process.  I overwintered the larger one (3 or 4 years old) in a corner of the sunroom.  It was too big to have elsewhere, but was difficult to access, so basically was near-dormant to nesr-dead).  The other (1 year old) was smaller and hanging from the ceiling, but still didn't get much attention.

The one-year old mandevilla (red) .

After clean-up and pruning.



Before pruning.


Last summer I had this hanging.  I haven't decided about this year.  It is three plants in one container.  Once it's well hydrated, and I am up to it, I'll repot with some fresh soil, in a larger container.

Here is the older (pink) Mandevilla.  It's really scraggly and sad looking.

Before pruning.


After pruning.


It looks pretty sad, but like they said in Jurassic Park, "Where there's life, there's hope.".  Or I think they said that.

I'm aiming for a bushy look or tower shape.  If there is good growth from the lower stems, I may prune off some of the tallest.   Once the soil is well hydrated, I'll start a lower nitrogen fertilizer so I don't stimulate too much rank growth, but some new growth, and encourage forming strong stems and blooming.

No comments:

Post a Comment