Saturday, April 06, 2024

Refinishing A Very Old, Small, Cedar Box. 6 Apr 24.

 This box has been sitting around for a long time.  It was on a back shelf in the garage, awaiting repairs.  The top was broken into two pieces.  The bottom had broken into three pieces.  Anyone else would have thrown it away.  But I like things with a nice wood grain, and I wanted a box for remotes that isn't plastic, and it was something to play with.


I glued the top together.  Unfortunately, the glue ran in the grain, invisible until polyurethane coat was added.  Then it showed badly..  So I sanded it off.  The glue shows with alcohol too.   I alternated alcohol / sanding / alcohol / sanding, until the glue no longer showed.  Then I sanded with super fine sandpaper, gave a coat of wood conditioner, then multiple coats of spraybpolyurethane.

I like cedar wood, its grains and knots.  It shows nicely on this box.  I ordered new hinges and a hasp on Amazon.  

The inside was too difficult to give a good finish, and glue showed there too.  I lined it with faux-antique paper lining.  This stuff is as thin as a coat of paint, and very sticky.   It was a learning process and my result was so - so.


I remember the original feet were wooden, but they broke off and were long gone.  I just used some felt feet for scratch protection.  The bottom is 1/4 " plywood.  I finished it for protection, but it's nothing special.



Now I have a box for storing remotes and reading glasses, so they won't get lost and there is less clutter.  And not plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment