Friday, April 12, 2024

Pruning An Asian Plum Multigrafted Tree. 12 Apr 24.

 This tree was originally Methley.  When I moved it from Vancouver to Battle Ground, I grafted on a Shiro  Plum from the Vancouver yard too.  Over the years, I added a Beauty Plum and a purple leaf plum for pollenation.

My Asian plums have a very low spreading, umbrella shape with long willowy branches.  Most seem to droop quite low, giving deer a nice salad bar, plus making it difficult to mow.

I've never done a lot to shape and train this tree.  Today I pruned back the lowest branches, shortened the long willowy branches, removed too-low, deer-tempting shoots and spurs, removed some crossing branches and cleared some of the center.



I left some newer branches longer, to tie down and train in the future.

No "Before" shot this time.  I forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment