Friday, April 12, 2024

Planting a Hardy Kiwi Vine. 12 Apr 24.

 I bought this vine at a big box store with an orange sign, last year.  You never know what you are going to get until you open the box, and it was sealed.  Here's what it looked like when I opened it in May.


Plants are always a gamble, but I mean, really?

I decided not to return it, although I should have.   I planted it in potting soil, kept it in shade to prevent burning of tender leaves, fertilized with house plant soil.  Basically treated it as a somewhat abused seedling,  In a way, it sort of was.  I imagine these are tissue cultured starts.

In July, it looked like this.


I repotted.  By about September, it looked like this,


I overwintered the vine in my vegetable garden.  It's starting to grow. 


The roots were good! and not root bound.


 I planted it in the duck yard against the fence.  It's at the top of a hill, facing west.


I think it should do fine there.  

It's great to transition a plant through TLC and finally get it into its new home.


No comments:

Post a Comment