Sunday, June 20, 2021

Tart Cherry Pie Filling. Canned vs. Frozen. Canned Sweet Cherries. 6.20.2021

I made pie fillings using tart cherries (North Star) and also canned another batch of sweet cherries (RNier and a red variety). I'm still learning the details of canning. I will be careful about inspecting them before eating them. The canned cherries are fairly routine. However, I know there is some leakage before they seal, so a bit of juice exits, and a bit of boiling water enters the jars before they seal. The airspace varies a bit. I think they are Ok but will check quality before eating the canbed fruits. I follow the canner instructions closely. The cherries - sweet on the left, tart on the right.
The canned sweet cherries.
As for pie fillings, I made enough for one pie by canning the filling. Those have to be cooked before they are canned (hot fill method). Unfortunately, they lose their form while cooking, so the end result doesn't look a lot like cherries.
Today I made fillings for two cherry pies, and froze them. I think that was a lot less work, and the cherries hold their shape much better. The ingredients are exactly the same as if I make a fresh pie, except I leave out the butter which I add when baking the pie. I noticed the 1/8 tsp salt. No idea why that is there, and I don't do it. I might change to a clear starch next time instead of flour. I think the flour is a family tradition but I'm not certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment