Tuesday, June 08, 2021

Repotting Pawpaw Seedlings. 6.8.2021

These are seedlings from the only pawpaw crop I've had so far, which was 2018. I stratified them and planted into containers of potting soil, resulting in small trees 2019. Tiny trees, about 4 inches. They need shade and deer protection, and were easily forgotten and deer ate the tops last year anyway. I decided to forget about it and compost them, but just left them there alone. No watering, no TLC, no nothing. Well, they grew again this Spring. So today I repotted into good potting soil and more root room. There was minimal root trauma so I decided not to worry about that and gave them some fertilizer. I moved them to my shrub and tree mininursery where they will get more attention this year. We will see what happens :-) These are all hybrids of Nc-1 as fruit parent, "Sunflower" as pollen parent.
Sometimes I try something just to see what happens. This is one of those cases. However, since Nc-1 and Sunflower both fruited that year. I thought their offspring might have a chance too.

No comments:

Post a Comment