Tuesday, June 08, 2021

Dividing and Repotting an Overcrowded Cymbidium. 6.8.2021

 This is a beautiful yellow Cymbidium orchid, that has rebloomed for several winters.  It did not during the most recent winter.  I imagine that was due to overcrowding, but also maybe leaving it sit in the sun with no care during smoky season and other stuff.  This is a very tough plant, can dry out like a cactus and it survives.  I remembered watching a video a long time ago about dividing and repotting cymbidiums, and decided to divide it like the video I watched.  I dont have a link to that.

Here is the plant.  The center has died out  with all of he growth on the fringes like a mediaeval monk's haircut.  

 

I knocked the plant out of its container.
Then I gave it an upside down butch haircut, leaving about 6 inches of roots.
Then I used a pruning saw to cut through the clump, goving approximately equal halves. I pulled out any pseudobulbs that looked dead or that I transected, and shook out what old growth medium I could.
Then I found another similar size container and potted both halves in arborist fir and arborvitae tree grindings. Then I gave them a good soak, then I watered each with 1/4 strength Miracle Gro for Tomatoes.
These went to my orchid summer home, under a large fir tree with mainly eastern and southern exposures. I Will water them and fertilize throuhg the summer. I think they will probably grow, given past experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment