Wednesday, June 02, 2021

I Planted the Last Batch of Sweet Corn. 6.2.2021

 I planted the last batch of sweetcorn.  From what I read, sweetcorn seeds don't keep long, maybe two years.  I plant the row with every other seed being last year's seeds, fest is this year's, to use up old seeds.  If the old ones grow, they will likely get thinned out.  However, there is often a need to plant extras because they dont all grow, or something eats them.  Hence the closer spacing at sowing time.

Last year I plants the last batch June 15.  I think those were not as productive as those planted June 1, and this year already seems hotter.  It's funny- for years I read that sweetcorn didn't grow here.  But it does, if you choose early or relatively cool-tolerant varieties.  And it's really good.

This batch is "Delectable".  The new seeds were from Johnny's in Maine.  Last year's were from  Territorial Seeds, bit they are too expensive now and their shipping is jaw-dropping expensive.  

I'm happy to have the last of the sweetcorn planted.  That's pretty much the almost final seed planting, except some odds and ends.  That's good because I don't have energy now for any more major soil prep and planting.



No comments:

Post a Comment