Sunday, June 20, 2021

Another Forsythia Cutting Update. 6.20.2021

Today I noticed more roots emerging from a container of forsythia cuttings. I started these directly in potting soil, with little plastic bags covering them to act as humidity / ICU tents. So I set it outside. It's in the 80s today, but it survived. That, and the most recent water-rooted one were a bit droopy after sun heated their black sided containers at the end of the day, so I brought them back indoors and set the remaining two, which were not droopy, back into the shade.
Meanwhile, the fourth (of five) cutting in water has started to grow roots. In the past, I understood that potting medium rooting was superior to water rooting for most cuttings. That may be true, but so far the water rooted forsythia cuttings have done significantly better than the ones in potting medium, and with less effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment