Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Planting Onion Seedlings. 25 Mar 24.

 I planted the rest of the Patterson hybrid onion seedlings.

Also planted the first of the Wethersfield onion seedlings.


The process is the same as before.  Dig a shallow trench.  Lay the seedlings in the trench.  Then move soil inwards to cover roots.

Every scoop of soil seems to bring up earthworms.  This soil is becoming more rich each year,



I think I will run out of space in this bed.  It's difficult to judge how many, when planting seeds.  I also planted some in one of the raised planters.


I wanted to get rid of the last batch of saved coffee grounds.  I don't like leaving stuff sitting around.  I sprinkled them generously between rows.  I saw possible evidence of slugs, so I scattered slug bait.  With the rains, I opened the coffee filters to cover the slug bait, then covered with leaves.


I just want to slow down the slug bait washing away.  I expect those filters to decompose in a few months.  I covered them with tree leaves that I still have in a pile.  Then replaced the anti-bird fencing tunnels.


This is all sitting-down work.  The height of the raised bed is a good match to the height of the gardener's stool.  The 2x4 flat laid side tops of the bed are good fir support, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment