Sunday, March 31, 2024

Flowers in Vegetable Garden. Bulbs and Climbing Roses. 31 Mar 24.

 These are all in containers.  They overwintered in place.



The big bunch of red tulips have been there a couple of years.  They get no care at all, beyond weed removal and some mulch.  And removing dead tops in Summer.  The container height works for accessibility.  It's the same size as a half whiskey barrel.

The other red tulips share a container with strawberry plants.  The only care they get is for the strawberries.  Those started to bear last year.  We'll see this year.

Yesterday I tied up the climbing roses that flank the gate.  Originally, I was going to build or buy a trellis, and have them meet over the gate.  So far I have not done that.

This variety is Tropical Lightening.  It's a beautiful rose and strong scent.  Growth is vigorous.  This will be its second year.  For the time being, I've tied it to a tall post.




This is a red climbing rose.  I grew it from a cutting, I think 3 years ago.  I don't know the name.  There was one flower last year.  With so much growth, I bet there will be a lot this year.  I tied it vertically to the espalier trellis post, to prevent sprawling and drooping. It must be over ten feet tall now.


I also pruned skinny or non vigorous looking growth from both rose plants.  

No comments:

Post a Comment