Friday, July 30, 2021

Still Jammin'. Shiro Plum Jam. 7.30.2021

I made four batches of Shiro plum jam. The plums can become too soft and juicy as they ripen, but also very sweet and flavorful. The tree is so prolific, and almost never has an off year. They make a great, delicious jam. I made two batches using pectin for low sugar recipes, and two batches using Pomona pectin, with no sugar added. That last was for Ning, who likes the very, very tart result. It's like those lemon candies. The low sugar version is still plenty sweet, and I like that very much.
The jar on the left, which is more golden, was made with the low sugar pectin (Sure-Jell). The one on the right is more yellow, using the Pomona and no added sugar. I guess the difference is either the sugar, or the Sure-Gell is apple pectin while the Pomona is citrus pectin. The Pomona was also a bit more creamy in texture, while the Sure-Jell is more jelly-like. I noticed that inthe past when I was making freezer jams. The pectins I am using. It depends on the Recipe. I'd like to use less of the one-package per batch types, because they cost too much. However,the recipes are often specific forvthe product and claim they can't be interchanged. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment