Sunday, July 11, 2021

Squash Blossom Soup. 7.11.2021

Even though honeybees have been all over the squash blossoms, I wanted to try something different. This recipe is inspired by one in "The Classic Zucchini Cookbook" by Ralston , Jordan, and Chesman (2002). I liked that it uses a surprise vegetable (squash blossoms) as well as garlic and onion that I grew, and the garnish is finely chopped Garlic Chive that I grew from seeds this year. This is about 35 squash blossoms, a big garlic clove, a small onion.
I saute the onion and garlic in 3 tbsp olive oil for 5 min, add the chopped squash blossoms, saute 2 min. Then add 3 cup of water, 1 1/2 cubes veg boullion, bring to boil and simmer 10 min. Take off heat, blend by portions in food processor, return to sauce pan and heat, add about 1/2 cup coconut milk. Sprinkle with pepper and chinese chive garnish.
The zucchini "Costata Romanesca" has the largest blossoms but I also used blossoms from other varieties of squash. This was tasty. I used the coconut milk because yesterday I made a squash pie and substituted coconut milk for evap milk, and had this much left over. That turned out very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment