Sunday, July 25, 2021

Freezing Zucchinis from this Year's Zucchinami. 7.25.2021

The tsunami of zucchinis - "Zucchinami" - is giving lots of produce to play with. I made zucchini pickles, zucchini fritters, lots of air fried zucchini fries, and used zucchini "french fries" as a substitute for green beans in Rufus's dog food recipe. So far I've blanched and frozen 8 pounds of zucchini fries for future use. These are delicious - like green beans but more tender and a bit of umami flavor, giving us umami in our zucchinami. I slice, place in boiling water three minutes, then transfer them to ice water to stop the cooking. For some reason, the ice water chill makes them a more brilliant green. Then transfer to freezer bag and use paper straw to remove air before freezing. Im using the Costata Romano variety. I think they are a bit "meatier" and firmer, compared to more modern types. It looks like they are winding down bearing, so I'm greatful for all of the great produce they made. I'm letting two, on different plants, go all the way to ripening, for saving seeds for next year. For smaller zucchinis, I just slice. The largervones get cut into "fries".  There are also some Fordhook modern zucchinis, which are also quite good.  Maybe I will make some picked zucchini filets for sandwich slices, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment