Sunday, July 25, 2021

Bush Bean, Green Bean Update. 7.25.2021

These are the green beans I planted 7.8.21, so 17 days ago, to fill in the raised bed after harvesting garlic. I gave them coffee grounds and crushed eggshells for fertilizer. Something, possibly slugs, ate the growing points from several plants. I always plant a lot extra in case things go wrong, so I think it will be OK. These are two rows Tenderette, two rows Blue Lake Bush 274, and two rows Roma. They are all historic, nonhybrid varieties so I can save seeds if they grow well. They seem to like the hot weather and irrigation method, and maybe the coffee grounds and eggshells. As for the irrigation, this 1/4 inch soaker hose is worthless. It started to clog up a month after I installed it. To make use of it, I used a safety pin and stuck holes in it every six inches or so. So now it's kind of a misting hose, which does work. I installed a big sediment trap in my water line to reduce future problems. Maybe if the garden line did not bypass the filter, the soaker hose would have been OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment