Thursday, July 08, 2021

Garlic Harvest. 7.8.2021

I harvested all of the garlic in their designated raised bed. There are still a few rows in other spots. Now they need to dry and have the tops trimmed. I'm drying them in garage, away from hot sun and morning dew. I think this is the best garlic crop I have ever grown. Key is using the raised bed, lots of coffee grounds (nitrogen, potassium), egg shells (calcium, nitrogen), planting in fall, and keeping them well weeded. The variety is "Music". I had saved about 8 of the largest bulbs to plant last fall. So those were "free", whereas garlic starts from stores or seed catalogs are quite expensive.
This photo shows the importance for early removal of scapes. I'm surprised it made such a big difference.
I also had two rows of garlic bulbils. I grew those as a way to potentially have more rows of garlic without having to set aside as many bulbs. They did OK. Some might make big bulbs next year, but many were still quite small and may need two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment