Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Star Quilt Progress. 7.13.22

 So far I surprised myself with the first four star blocks.


As with two other quilts, these are made from fabric from second hand men's 100% cotton shirts.  Some features are fabric left over from previous quilts.  Those were fabrics I especially liked.  I have to be creative in their use because only small amounts remain.

These took longer because of the white backgrounds.  I have a crinkly white fabric that I used, to add texture.  However, it's so thin I was concerned the batting would show through.  So I used spray basting to bond them to a heavier white fabric.  The spray basting will wash away when the final quilt is laundered, leaving the two layers much softer but with the nice crinkly look on the surface.

Now comes a bit of a dilemma.   Each fabric is in a limited amount.  I have to vary it so I make the best use of each.  The shapes are irregular, so it's difficult for me to decide how far each piece will go.  I thought I might alternate these with the darker blue, with lighter blue stars.  Here is a comparison.  The light blue one isn't sewn together yet, so it is larger.



I don't think I like the lighter color for the star.  The other fabrics - the grey and the background - are in short supply, but I think I have enough of the dark blue for at least the next four (out of thirteen total) blocks, and who knows, maybe all thirteen.  The grew and white parts will have to be more diverse, which I think will add variety.

I will play with it and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment