Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Pollinating Squashes. 7.23.22

Squashes are one of my favorites.  They are bee pollinated, and it seems like there are few bees this year.  Especially honeybees.  I hand pollinate anyway. 

Here is the big squash patch, with Burgess Buttercup, Saffron Summer Squash, and Costata Romanesco Summer Squash (zucchini).  That last one is monstrous in size.



I want at least one of each to be pure, so that I can save seeds for next year and have them predictable.  I seek male and female flowers about to open, and cover them with organza gift bags.  Then tomorrow I can use the males to pollinate the same variety females.  That way, I don't have to worry about the few bees that are there, cross pollinating different varieties.



The squash plants are interesting.  Fordham Zucchini and Galeux d'Eysines so far have made only male flowers, and Burgess Buttercup and Dakota Dessert Squash made only females until today.  The Costata and Saffron made both, but initially Saffron made only female flowers.  So just for eating, I cross pollinated Saffron squash with Costata pollen (They are the same species), which worked fine.  Later in the summer, I want to save seeds from those too, so will isolate those flowers in a month or so.

There actually are some native pollinating insects, as seen on these cilantro flowers.



Here are the other squashes, among fruit trees and other plants.




No comments:

Post a Comment