Saturday, July 16, 2022

More Container-Grown Potatoes. Planting Bush Beans. 7.16.22

 This is the second batch of container-grown red potatoes. 


Compared to the same starts, grown in the ground, the container grown potatoes had nicer, finer skin, no scabbiness, were a bit oblong instead of round.  The flavor is the same.   Size is similar.  I think the container grown made for more potatoes, much easier harvest.  Photo:  grown in ground, on the top.  Container grown, on the bottom.




I have other varieties that I can do the same comparison.   We'll see how those turn out. 

Meanwhile, I thought the soil mix in those containers was too water retentive.  The bottoms were soggy.  I found an unused partial bag of cactus soil and another of perlite, and mixed those into to soil in the bags.  That should improve drainage.  Then I planted bush bean seeds in the modified soil mix.


This is the variety "Blue Lake".  I grew them last year, good bean with good yield.

With beans, peas, corn, a cover is needed so birds so up all of the seeds and eat them.



No comments:

Post a Comment