Saturday, July 16, 2022

Cherry Pie. 7.16.22

 The pie cherries ripened.  There were almost no sweet cherries this year, and fewer pie cherries.  Still, there were enough pie cherries to make filling for three pies.

I used the outdoor stove this time.  It worked perfectly.  I think it needed less gas to heat compared to inside cooking, because it was a hot afternoon.  Also, baking it didn't heat up the kitchen.



I like glass pie plates.  I think they make a great crust.  You can also look to make sure the crust browned properly.


This time I used Clear Jel starch instead of flour.   The filling is more clear, and redder.p instead of pink.


I made two batches of pie filling and froze them.  They will keep a year in the freezer.  It's much easier and faster to make a pie from a frozen filling, instead of fresh.  I think the flavor is the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment