Sunday, July 17, 2022

Planting Bush Green Beans. 7.17.22.

 With the garlic harvested, I cleaned up the raised bed.  I added coffee grounds (for nitrogen and organic natter) and biochar (for magical goodness).  I watered it, let it soak for a few hours, dug it over, then hand-cultivated.  Depending on who you read, Contender beans start bearing in about 50 to 55 days (Seeds'n'Such says 40 days but I don't believe it) one of the fastest.  They are also considered excellent, stringless green beans.




I also replaced the useless soaker hoses, which I kept tripping over, with 1/4" tubes that have emitters every 6".  The emitters are 1/2 gallon per hour, and the work much better than the soaker hoses which quickly clog up until they don't work at all.  This time I didn't make loops with the tubing, which was part of the problem with the soaker hoses.  Of course, I covered it all with anti-bird netting to give the beans a chance to grow.

Those seeds are pricey, but a packet that size can produce at least fifteen pounds of fresh green beans.  Maybe more.  I might see if I can leave a few plants to mature and make seeds for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment