Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Late Summer Cuttings. Geranium, Spanish Lavender, Sage, Rosemary. 20 Aug 24.

 There are several plants in the border that I think I'd like to propagate for planting next Spring.  If they root, I can keep them in  sheltered location or in the Sunroom during cold winter weather.

I tried sage, Rosemary, and geraniums in water over the past few weeks.  Not doing well, which might be the season or other factors.  Sometimes it works for me for geraniums.  I've seen on line that water works for rosemary and sage.  One geranium cutting grew a root and is in soil now.

I didn't have more sage, so trimmed the cuttings in water back to fresh tissue.   I did that for the rosemary too.

My cutting materials before trimming.


With the sage, I want fresh clean cuts in fresh tissue.  Also, the leaves might transpire too much, so I trimmed them.

Sage cutting, before trimming.  I used single edge razor blade for the sharpest, cleanest cuts.



After trimming.  I want fresh, healthy cambium tissue, clean with no long term water effect, so the rooting hormone soaks in better.


Then I used a butter knife as a dibbler, made a hole in pre-wetted seed starting medium, and inserted about two nodes deep.

Cleanup of the rosemary cuttings was similar.  Before and after trimming, same photo.


I also cut the apical growth.  I don't know if that makes a difference.

The geranium cuttings. Before trimming.


After trimming.



Treatment of Spanish lavender cuttings was similar to the rosemary, except they were freshly harvested.

All planted.


Then I placed the pots of cuttings into produce bags.  Four fit per bag.


I'm keeping them on the North side of the garden shed, out of the sun,  Current temp is 70F.

Will they root and grow?  I'll be watching them.

No comments:

Post a Comment