Thursday, August 08, 2024

Herb Cuttings In Water. 8 Aug 24.

 Somehow I got a wild hair to un-re-wild the rest of the privacy border.  My original vision was to keep the row of fig trees, which is about 10 feet from the access road on the easement, and fill in between them with forsythias.   Facing the yard, I wanted low growing perennials that don't need watering, or not much.  They need to resist rabbits and especially deer. 

I had let this area go for the past couple of years, due to being leas able.  Plus, I had decommissioned a large neighboring garden bed that I last used for potatoes and as a source of raised bed soil, and it has been too rough to mow.  So it was overgrown with a thistle and weed forest, and that also took over the border.

This week, I cleared the thistles.  I've filled in about 2/3 of the trenches, although the hard baked soil now makes it difficult to do.  With the weeds removed, I found that the forsythias look great.  No need for watering those, and deer don't touch them.

There were lavender plants there.  Those were too much of a mess to reform, so I cut them off at the soil.  Most of the sage bushes succumbed to the deep shade of the fig trees, and competition by thistles.   One remained.  So I used shoots from that plant to set up new cuttings to start.


I read they start better in soil than water, because roots need darkness.  I have no idea if that's true.  I put them into a mug to reduce light in the water.

I also want to start some rosemary plants, using the same method.


Apparently lavender cuttings can't be started in water, so I'm not trying.

Meanwhile, one of the three geranium cuttings in water, developed a little root.


So I potted it.  Not very impressive, but it might grow.


These will remain in the south facing window for a while.


I transferred the other two geranium cuttings to a mug of water too.  They might not be viable.  I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment