Saturday, August 03, 2024

Bearded Iris Bed / Recovery / Rescue. 28 Jul 24.

The first bearded iris rhizomes that I cleaned up and replanted in the new bed, have recovered and are growing nicely.  They look sturdy. The most recent ones are still in a recovery mode after digging them, cleaning and pruning rhizomes, and replanting.





I've had too many years when they started out good, only to have infestations of fungal spot and bacterial rot ruin them in the Spring.  All I can say is "Wait and See".  But I can't help but feel good about the growth on the first group, and that I am going by my own observations and experiences rather than web-lore.

I did give them 1/4 strength balanced fertilizer.  I have to restrain myself, I don't want them to grow too lush.  That will be the only dose.

The geraniums are just sitting at the edges.  Doing very well.  I think I like older types, not the interspecies hybrids (zonal x ivy geranium).  Some of the hybrids are nice, but the leaf growth is so compact they shed water out of the pot, and the flowers are so prolific they cover the entire plant and look almost fake.

In the center, the Eucalyptus are growing nice in containers, as is the lavender.

No comments:

Post a Comment