Saturday, August 03, 2024

Four O'Clocks (Mirabilis jalapa) Mostly Seed Grown. 3 Aug 24.

 Here are the 4:00's in bloom at about 9am.  They don't follow the "bloom at four o'clock" rule.  






These are my reliable favorites.  The yellow ones and magenta ones were my own seed saving.   I bought the seeds for the variegated ones.  Two were overwintered tubers from container plants.  The rest were seed - grown this Spring.  They actually have some shade, overhead and on their west side.

Deer and rabbits don't touch them.  They do need slug bait during wet Spring.  Supposedly, Japanese beetles eat the leaves which have an insecticidal toxin, but I don't know about that.

I water them about every few days.  They have an arborist chip mulch.  

Four O'clock roots usually overwinter fine, in place, here with no special treatment,


No comments:

Post a Comment