Monday, November 07, 2022

Fig Tree Starts. 11.7.22

 On Nov 29 last year, I removed this offshoot from my original Hardy Chicago fig tree.


It didn't have much root.  Barely any. 


Still, I wanted a new tree to replace one that was killed by voles, so I planted it, gave it some water, and kept it mulched.  Here is that tree today.


I'm pretty impressed with the resilience of fig trees. This one has the potential to produce a small number of figs next year. Today I renewed the leaf mulch around it.  This tree is settled in for the sinter.

I had also cut a few cuttings, dormant wood about a foot long and half inch diameter. I stuck them into the ground in what was to become a tomato raised bed.  No other care, not even water althpugh the closest emitter was, maybe, 18 inches away.  It did have a cardboard mulch.

Here is one cutting now. I dont think the others grew.


This start could be planted in the ground now, and potentially make some good progress next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment