Friday, November 25, 2022

Cleaning Up Mini Orchard. 11.25.22

 I've been pulling weeds and putting down tree leaf mulch in the mini orchard.  A few mini trees needed moving to make room for a planned pepper planter.

So far, I removed weeds from the North, East, and West fences / tree rows.  Some of the middle is done as well.  After removing weeds, I lay a thick layer of tree leaf mulch.  The areas that are not cleaned up yet, in the center rows, will have a weed barrier topped with wood chip mulch, for pathways, and thatvplanned pepper planter.



This is one of the minitrees that I moved, SummerRed apple on Bud-9 rootstock.  It had two big shoots emerging from underground, below the graft.


I removed those shoots.  Their connection to the node is brittle.  They just break off.  They will give some rootstock to play with.  They don't have much root, but it doesn't take much. Some of the originals that I bought didn't have much root either.


I planted those temporarily in a raised bed.  


I moved two of the columnar apples on Bud-9, to the duck yard. They didn't have enough room now in the mini orchard, and one was replaced by the SummerRed.  



I had said in a previous comment that most of the columnar on Bud-9 were about three feet tall.  Now that I'm working with them, I have to correct that.  Only one is only about three feet tall.  The others are about 4 1/2 to 7 feet tall.  I think that's about perfect for me at this stage.  Columnar trees on vigorous rootstock grow way to big for my mini-orchard, and it's too challenging to keep them pruned down to seven or eight feet tall.  These will stay shorter.  Some had a few apples this year.  One of these was made from a Golden Sentinel apple tree, the other from a North Pole apple tree.  They are both tasty apple varieties.

The Bud-9 roots are not extensive at all.  I had to prune some due to bad shape or placement, but not as much as bare root trees this size are sold as.

No comments:

Post a Comment