Thursday, May 05, 2022

Practice Star Quilt Block. 5.5.2022

 I used scraps to practice sew a star shaped quilt block.  The patter is from "Today's Quilter" magazine and the quilt designer is Lynn Goldsworthy in UK.  Each block will be a different star shaped pattern, with some different fabrics harvested from thrift store or estate sale men's shirts.  The designer's pattern uses new quilting cottons, in mixed colors.  Mine will be more blues and greys, like the nine-patch quilt I made.

This practice block helps me see how the pieces will fit together.  I need to fine tune matching up the pieces.  Part of that is, I didn't starch to stiffen and didn't have an iron with me.  Starch and ironing help a lot with precision.  Still, before making a practice block, I could not picture how the points would work out, and now I can.


Now I need to starch and iron the fabric that will be in the actual quilt, and start cutting them out.   It's a challenge converting from the magazine instructions, which start with virgin fabric, to what I'm doing with fabric sourced from shirts, but I'm starting to figure it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment