Saturday, May 14, 2022

Irrigation for Tomatoes,1 gal/hr Emitters. 5.14.22

 I set up the irrigation system for the fresh tomato raised bed.  First, I arranged the lines on top of the kraft paper mulch, so I can see if they work.  The 1/4 inch lines are re-used from last year.  I used new emitters because of concern they could clog from a season build-up of minerals.  Plus, some broke when I took apart the lines to build the beds.


Here is a video showing the flow.


Thinking about how much to use.  When I use the watering can, one full can is two gallons.  I use roughly one full can for four plants, at a time.  Depends on how hot and how big they are.  That's about 1/2 gal per plant.  That would mean let the system run for 30 minutes for a similar amount.  The paper mulch will reduce evaporation and soil drying, so I may get away with watering less often.  I can always check soil moisture.

After the test run, I shifted the emitters to be under the paper.  Now the irrigation system is completed for this bed.

I still need to add paper mulch for the onion bed, then plant sauce tomatoes and install emitters and mulch for that bed.  In a couple more weeks, I'll do the same for the chili pepper bed.  Also, I'll install a branch for squashes which will be in ground.  Last year I watered them by hand, which was a major effort.

It seems like a lot, but the advantages are significant.  First, with about 20 tomato plants, at least 1/2 gallon per session, that's about 5 trips with the full watering can per day or every other day.  I think it's actually more.  For the onions and garlic, or beans when those are done, it's another approx 4 trips per bed, and 4 more for the large planter box.  So that's roughly 25 watering can trips per watering session.  Or the hose, which is a lot of difficult lugging the hose around and standing out in the heat (or smoke, if we get a bad fire season.  Hope not.).   It's also a major water savings over using a sprinkler system.

No comments:

Post a Comment