Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Lentil Loaf. 2.25.22

 I've been trying to find a good recipe for Lentil Loaf.  It's a vegetarian comfort food version of meat loaf. My mom made meat loaf, a comforting memory, but I haven't had meat for forty years.  I used to make a recipe from Vegetarian Times magazine, I think about 1995.  However, it was too complicated, called for a binder/filler ingredient I can't find easily (I forget - maybe kashi?) and crumbled too easily.

So, I looked at other recipes and combined parts into this one and left out some things I don't think were useful.



This actually turned out pretty good.  I think it was a big improvement as far as texture or consistency, over the original.  It needs some refining but so far, so good.  Here is the current recipe, I guess a "work i  progress".

Two cups rinsed brown lentils.  - bring to a boil in six cups of water, boil 40 min.  Lentils soak up all of the water and will be tender.  Let them cool off about 30 min so the eggs wont scramble when added.

Combine -

1/2 cup breadcrumbs

1/2 cup oats (I used old fashioned but instant oats might have been better)

2 teaspoons garlic powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons dehydrated chopped garlic (I made this a while back)

2 teaspoons dehydrated tomato powder (I made this a while back)

2 tablespoons tomato sauce

about 1/2 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil.

Sautè

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup chopped carrot

Now combine the lentils, the dry mixture, two eggs (well stirred), the sautéed vegetables.  I tried using the mixer, the blades gummed up too much so I used the dough hooks.  I left it a bit chunky but a lot of the lentils were mashed.

Line 8 inch bread pan with parchment paper.   Transfer the loaf to the bread pan (there was too much.  I baked the rest is a small glass dish).

Bake 40 min.  Take out of oven.  Coat the top with catsup.  Bake another 15 min.  Remove from over.  Let cool before removing parchment paper.

When hot, this was a little crumbly.  Fully cooled, this loaf cut almost like a real meat loaf.  A bit more firm.   I thought this was great on sandwiches with mayo, mustard, relish.

Next time, I may increase the sesame oil (for umami), and the garlic.  I think instant oats would bind better than traditional oats, although the texture was already quite good.  A little olive oil might make it more juicy but will that make it more crumbly?  Also, maybe red lentils might give a better color but I don't know if that would change the texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment