Thursday, May 12, 2022

Potato Bread. 5.12.2022

Today I made bread using a mixer with dough hooks, for the first time.  Part of my drive down the nostalgia highway.  I used the recipe in the old Mixmaster cookbook.  The recipe was for potato bread - Mashed potatoes, water, egg, flour, a little sugar, a little salt.  The mashed potatoes were made with potato flakes, water, milk, butter.

It was very nice using the mixer to knead the dough.   I mistakenly left out the egg and sugar until after kneading, so added them and kneaded a bit longer, adding a little more flour.  Not as easy as if I included them before kneading but the loaf still came out great.


The loaf was delicious!  It had a great rich flavor, nice crust, slightly chewy texture.  Nice old fashioned home made bread.  

I never wanted to use dough hooks - sort of takes the baker a bit away from the dough.  But, I thought the process was kind of empowering.  Kneading by hand is too much work now.  Cleanup was easier too.

I could easily see going another step further, and making the mashed potatoes from home grown spuds from the June harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment