Wednesday, May 25, 2022

First Sweet Corn is Finally Planted. 5.25.22

 This is about two weeks later than last year.  With the cool weather, that might not be a setback.  This is a new variety for me, "Orchard Baby".  Apparently the ears are short, just five to six inches long, two ears per plant, and the plants are only three to five feet tall.  Ready in 65 days, which is very early (and here possibly more like 80 days).  Victory Seeds description.  Baker Creek Seeds description.  Mine came from Baker Creek.  These originate in Canada and were sold by a North Dakota seed company, so should be adapted to my latitude, and short season.



The rows need protection from birds, rabbits, deer until about a foot tall.  Then they are OK.  I planted close and will thin.  My experience is I often have low germination, maybe birds get the seeds anyway,


I'll probably plant another variety in two weeks.  I'm thinking Early Sunglow Hybrid, which is a bit larger, about the same season length (68 days) and also not as water and is more "corn flavored" than more modern supersweet varieties.



No comments:

Post a Comment