Monday, May 09, 2022

Getting Dahlias Started Again. 5.9.22

 Last fall I dug up the dahlia tubers, pruned off the tops, let them dry out, and stored in boxes of peat moss over the winter, in the unheated, attached garage.  I gave the boxes of peat moss a little water during the winter but not much.  Maybe once or twice.

Today I got them out.  The actually look pretty good, and are starting to sprout.



I used a pruning saw to split a couple of them in half.  It's hard to have any finesse about it, because the tubers are all packed in there together.



Then I planted three of them.  My neighbor says that deer don't eat hers.  I don't know.  I planted the first three in  the blackberry enclosure, which has the room.  I might plant others in the open as a test,


No comments:

Post a Comment