Thursday, May 05, 2022

Planting Slicing and Cherry Tomatoes. 5.5.22

 I cleared out the winter crop of snap peas, mixed in some steer manure compost, and planted the tomatoes for fresh eating.

The peas were an experiment.  They were no where near blooming yet.  I don't have room to let them continue, plus grow the tomatoes, so I fed the pea vines to the chickens, who ate them voraciously.

Arranging the tomato plants.


Then I planted them, each with about 1/4 cup "Grow More" organic plant food for tomatoes and vegetables, and arranged brown paper mulch.  The paper is held down by the raised bed capstones, and by rebar I found in the shed.


This needed two days.  I had rudbeckia seedlings temporarily planted in the bed, so I transplanted them to their final destinations to make room.  I want this bed devoted entirely to tomatoes this year.

There are two remaining dwarf tomato plants.  I need to figure out a place for them.  

I realized I can write the variety names on the paper mulch.  For the moment, I just stuck the labels on the nearest capstones.



No comments:

Post a Comment