Sunday, May 19, 2019

Two More Rescued Iris Cultivars. 5.19.19

Bearded Iris "American Classic".  5.19.19
 These are two more rescues from the woodlot.  Now having bloomed, I can identify them.  It's a little like going through an o,d closet or attic and finding clothes that are useable and liked.

"American Classic" is modern, developed by Schreiners in 1996.  "Gay Parasol" is modern to my eyes, but also considered historic, developed by Schreiners in 1973.

Historic varieties are at least 30 years old.  This  one has nice color and form, and a little bit of ruffle, but is not as big and lavish as many of the 21st century developments.  Now that they are identified, I'll label them again and move them to big iris bed when they are dormant.

Today while delivering meals, I saw a large, obviously many-years ago established, border of Gay Parasol.  The house  is much older than the 1973 date, so it's possible that this iris was planted there 20 or more years ago.  There were others that I could not identify.  All very nice.


Bearded Iris "Gay Parasol".  5.19.19

2 comments:

  1. I love the play on words--Gay Parasol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an interesting name for sure! I imagine no new variety would get a similar name.

    ReplyDelete