Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Planting Sweet Corn Seeds. 5.7.19

Mesh to protect sweet corn seeds, planted 5.7.19
It may be too early.  However, this promises to be an early summer, hot and dry.  So I planted two blocks of sweet corn.  I generally plant a new block of sweet corn seeds, for 4 rows of 5 plants per row, every 2 or 3 weeks until late june.  If it does turn put to be too early and these either don't germinate or don't thrive, I can replant the beds in a few weeks.

I planted the varieties Burpee's  Farmers' First se hybrid, and Bodaceous se hybrid.  I placed mesh over one block, and fencing low tunnels over the other, to reduce herbivorous browsing of the seeds and small plants.

The soil is quite warm and dry now. Midday soil temp was in the 70s.  It feels like midsummer soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment