Friday, May 17, 2019

Neighborhood Bearded Irises, All Mulched. 5.17.19

 My helper, Rufus, took me around the neighborhood to look at bearded irises and check on my observation that mulched irises are healthier than unmulched irises, contrary to virtually every bit of advice in books and websites.

In this area, the main mulch used is shredded fir bark.  I think that's what I see nine times out of ten.

Around the neighborhood, there are many patches of irises, some apparently many years old and not maintained other than by mulching.  Of the ones that I saw, only the one that shares a photo with Rufus is un-mulched, and I'm not sure about that one due to the thick plantings of poppies and other flowers
 So in the end, the only irises that I've seen with disease - black spot - have been the bare-soil ones in my own yard.  And those are just about the only ones that are not mulched.

This summer after I divide and clean up the irises in my own yard, I'll put down a layer of shredded fir bark.  It certainly doesn't seem to hurt, and appears to help prevent leaf spot and other diseases.

I don't know why so many references state that irises should not be mulched.  Maybe that's the midwest, or other wet summer climates?

There are certainly some beautiful iris gardens around the neighborhood, too.  I have not ID'ed any of them, but they are very nice.



No comments:

Post a Comment