Sunday, May 05, 2019

Thinning Apples and Pears. 5.5.19

Gravenstein Cluster After Thinning.  5.5.19

Gravenstein Apple Cluster Before Thinning.  5.5.19

Maxie Pear Cluster Before Thinning.  5.5.19
 Today I started thinning the earliest of the fruits to look like they set.  In this case, some of the Gravenstein apples and Maxie Asian Pears.  It looks like the Gravensteins set heavily so itwill take some time to thin them.

It's a little early but by the time I work my way through all of the clusters, it might be a little late.
Maxie Pear Cluster After Thinning.  5.5.19

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the before and after closeups, Daniel. You're about 3-4 weeks ahead of my garden near Sequim. Last year was the first year the new apple trees fruited and I didn't thin them. The White Pearmain and Cinnamon Spic were so laden with apples they were stunted. Will be thinning them in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinning definitely makes a difference. Still, it can be tedious. I have thinned several varieties, and have several more to go.

      Delete