Tuesday, May 21, 2019

A Rescue, No-ID Iris. 5.21.19

These iris rhizomes were dumped, illegally, in the natural area where I walk Rufus.  People sometimes dump yard waste there (and also often don't clean up after their dogs, but fortunately not this spot).

The plants were alive but with the rhizomes laying in the yard waste.  So I collected some, trimmed them up, and planted them.

My experiences so far with discarded iris rhizomes is they are usually an old, probably historic type, that somebody once liked.  I think sometimes  someone will buy a home where irises were planted decades ago, and in their neglected state they survive but are not blooming and look messy.  So they pull them out.

It's interesting to see what develops. The older types have a different shape and colors, often not as bright, ruffled, or new looking but they have a nostalgic look that I enjoy.
This is a very non-ideal time to plant them but irises can be tough.  The largest might bloom next year.  Then we'll see what I brought home.

No comments:

Post a Comment