Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Featured Bearded Iris: Eleanor Roosevelt. 5.7.19

Bearded Iris Eleanor Roosevelt.  5.7.19

Eleanor Roosevelt was released in 1936.  From the link above - Historic Iris Society, quoted from Cooley's Garden Catalog:

From the Cooley’s Gardens catalog for 1937: “Deep fluorite purple self, with very rich falls. The opening flower is almost black, and the heavy blue beard tends to increase the depth of color. This is the leading fall-blooming iris in commerce today, because it increases very fast, is most reliable in flowering habit, and is one of the most beautiful irises in the garden regardless of its added value as a rebloomer.”

I've had this iris for a number of years.  This clump got buried when I decommissioned the raised bed, but survived and grew up,throughgh 6 inches of soil.  I transplanted it, and here js one of the rhizomes blooming after only one year. Less, really.  About 9 months.

I will be sure to relabel this clump and move it to a more prime location, now that it is identified.

I enjoy that description, " Deep fluorite purple".

Eleanor Roosevelt is a smaller variety, which can rebloom and has done so for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment