Friday, January 27, 2023

Saving Galeux d'Eysines Pumpkin Seeds. 1.27.22

 The Galeux pumpkins are keeping great.  No signs of mold or drying out.  This one was hand pollinated last summer, as shown by the plastic tie - 


I really think this is my best pumpkin or squash.  The flavor is the best, it keeps well, and it is productive.  The Burgess Buttercup did not do as well, and they mostly got moldy before I used them.

I cut this one open to use for cooking.


After sectioning the pumpkin, I cut off the skin and cut the pumpkin into approx 1" chunks.  Those get used or frozen.  The skin goes into the instant pot to steam for 5 minutes, then is fed to the chickens, who eat it all up.

I scoop out the seeds, wash them (not too fussy about that), let them dry on a paper towel.


After a few days, those go into an envelope for storage.  These home saved seeds germinate faster and have more vigor, compared to newly purchased seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment