Sunday, January 08, 2023

Starting Chili Pepper and Sweet Pepper Seeds. 1.8.22

 Today I sowed seeds for most of the hot peppers and some sweet peppers.


Some of the seeds are old.  I don't know how they will do.  I sowed a lot of the Thai peppers because the label showed poor germination in 2018, and they are much older now.   Of course, there are the overwintering plants too.

I have some more to plant.  This should be a good start.  I start peppers early because they take SO much time to get growing.

This time I'm using re-usable seedling starters that can be washed in the dishwasher to sterilize (after washing to remove grit etc).  In theory, these can be re-used many times over the years.  They are larger than the usual six-pack seedling starters, which I think is better.


They are on seedling warming mats now.  I need to get a new thermometer, which I ordered today.

The green seed starters are silicone trays, also reusable.  I used them at least twice in last year 's seed starting, washing in dishwasher to sterilize before re-using.  Those contain the Echinacea and onion seedlings.

No comments:

Post a Comment