Saturday, January 07, 2023

Pruning a Massive HorseChestnut Tree. 1.7.23

 This tree seems to have a semi-weeping configuration.  It's been spreading too wide.  The branches trail to the ground.  It's a major challenge mowing under the tree, or doing cleanup.  So I generally don't.

Today I did a lot of pruning.  Here is the before picture.


That big branch on the left had to go.  I could not mow under it.  Also, it looks like it might be at risk of breaking off.  In fact, when I examined it more closely, this alarming, full thickness, several feet log split was about two feet from the trunk.


Here is the tree after pruning.  I was careful.  My chain saw is just an electric 16 " blade.  


I think that the branch on the right side also needs to be removed.  I want to use the pole saw to remove as much as I can, first, due to the height and size of the limb.  That will have to happen some other time.

Interesting, with the area cleared, I saw this fig tree sticking out of a dwarf evergreen.   Where did that come from?  i can't imagine that I planted it there.  It's probably been there since before we bought the place.



No comments:

Post a Comment