Sunday, January 08, 2023

Starting Onion And Garlic Chive Seeds. 1.8.22

 I always start onion seeds early.  They can be planted out earlier than most seedlings, clearing the way for more tender plants.

Last year's onions didn't do well, so this year I'm trying hybrids.  I really think it was  my growth conditions and not the varieties, but I want to try the new varieties for their hybrid vigor.

I also bought seeds for Chinese Chives (Chinese Leeks) to see if they do better than my 22 year old plants.


The hybrids are long-day (fir this Northern latitude), Red (Red Carpet) and yellow (Frontier).  

I planted the onion seeds and Chinese Leek seeds in the green reusable silicone seed starting trays.  

I also have some heirloom red onion bulbs planted in the garden to see if I can get seeds from them this summer.  My experience is that home saved seeds sometimes do better than bought seeds.  Also  I'd like to continue to gain seed independence, by saving more varieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment