Sunday, January 08, 2023

Red Star Quilt. Getting Started. 1.8.23

 This will be another quilt that starts using a pattern in Modern Quilter, by designer Lynn Goldsworthy.   I like her designs very much.  I made changes, based on my use of (mostly) upcycled fabrics.  One major change, the original design has a lot of background in cream colors, wide areas of fabrics.  Mine will have patchwork background, mainly greys and minimalist patterns on white.  

The changes have taken quite a bit of trial and error on paper, but I think I have it.

Here are the shirt fabrics, curated, washed, starched, pressed, cut at the seams.


The reds are mostly a deep color, sort of ox-blood, or burgundy.  One is light, sort of mauve.  

This is a preview of the star pattern, minus one point.


I could do a few things to fill in the missing point.  Such as, repeat a fabric, vs. buy something at the fabric store, vs. continue shopping for shirts to upcycle.  One point is the reverse side of another, I could try that. I decided not to be a purist, and ordered a yard of a deep red Indonesian Batik on Amazon.  That will add a little something extra, if I actually use it.

The original pattern was published as a supplement in Today's Quilter, Issue 75.  The complete link seems to be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment