Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Tomato Plant Update. 4.26.22

 Here are some of the tomato plants now.  I'm glad I did not plant them as early as last year, although I could probably have waited one or two additional weeks.

Reisentraube and Dwarf Johnson Cherry.  It's interesting that, at least at this stage, Reisentraube is growing a lot like a dwarf variety.  I didn't expect that.  It will be fun to compare it to other varieties.


Most of the other dwarf varieties.  They have shorter, stockier stems compared to non-dwarf types, and the leaves are more compact and stockier too.  Brandyfred and CC McGee (not shown) have potato-type leaves.


"Bush" type (Early Girl Bush).  These are not dwarf type, but grow multiple stems that in the end don't grow as tall as regular tomato plants.  To confuse matters, "Extreme Bush" is both dwarf and determinate. The blue labeled plants, "Honeybee" and "SunGold" are regular height varieties that I planted a few weeks later.  I had those varieties planted at the same time as the others, but gave them away to someone who I think will appreciate that they are already blooming.


Some of the sauce tomatoes, Ranger, La Roma III, and Supremo.  I planted these a month after the fresh eating tomatoes.  I'm not interested in as early bearing for these and they appreciate the later sunnier, warmer weather.



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:24 AM

    I will be a month or more before it is safe to plant tomatoes here. Yours are lookin good.

    ReplyDelete