Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Making Some Gingersnap Cookies. 4.20.22

 After my mom's cousin Pearl died, my mom gave me the cookbook that she had inherited from Pearl.

It's mostly just sat in my baking cabinet.  Thanks to the pandemic, I've been baking more and got it out.  With feelings of nostalgia, I bought a Sunbeam stand mixer.  I didn't want a mixer made in "that" country. Plus I could have bought a Kitchen Aid, which ate certainly high quality, solid made-in-USA machines.  However, the big Kitchen-Aid mixers are too big and heavy for me, and the mini model still cost more than double what the Sunbeam cost.  Plus nostalgia, my mom had a Sunbeam.  This one is remarkably like hers.  More plastic, not as heavy, but it still reminds me of her.


So I used her recipe book to make a batch of gingersnaps.  I've never made them before, but it was pretty easy.  I love molasses, so these were right up my alley.


I wasn't able to spend a lot of time with my mom in her later years, but sometimes she sent me cookies.  I can look at these as a gift from her.

Edit:  I looked at the label on the bottom of the mixer.  Made in China.  Well, I will keep it but won't buy another from them if this one breaks.  I don't mind buying imported goods, but I think we should have the ability to determine where something is made before we buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment